Friday, December 19, 2014

Assassin's Creed Unity by Oliver Bowden

*Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves -Confucius*

Assassin's Creed Unity is the seventh book in this amazing series. I'm sure most of you have at least heard of Assassin's Creed, the video games. That's how it all started through video games. The video games gave birth to the book series, so to speak. 

Unlike the other books this book focused more on the Templars than the Assassins. The difference between the templars and the assassins is their belief system. The assassins believe that people should be able to think for themselves. While the templars believe people shouldn't need to think for themselves, they should have leaders that do that for them. Hands down, I'd rather read about the assassins than the snooty templars. They seem to be more real, the templars are all snooty rich people, that want their beliefs shoved down everyones throats.

I'm glad I got the knowledge of the difference between the two and it was cool to see how the templars worked. That being said, I would have much rather read about Arno. There is nothing wrong with Élise -other than her being a templar- I actually thought she was a great female lead. She was tough and didn't always need to be saved, she did sometimes but who doesn't?  

The beginning focused way too much on her childhood! I know this book was about Élise but come on, I didn't need to know what she thought about when she was eight years old. It took over half the book before the big party scene that killed her father, the big party that was at the beginning of the video game. I think there was way more in the book than there needed to be, there was too much useless stuff. But I could think that because I'm biased, I'm a big fan of the video games.

Élise de la Serre is destined to take her father's place as Grand Master Templar. On the night of her induction ceremony François de la Serre was murdered and the rumors were by her assassin boyfriend, Arno. She knew it wasn't Arno that killed him but a part of her blamed him. When she embarks on her journey for revenge she has to rely on Arno for help. Her allies and friends are now her former allies and friends. Most either dead or too scared to support her. Élise and Arno have to go through a lot to uncover the murderer of her father. When they finally come face to face with the man behind his murder Élise will stop at nothing to see his death, even if it cost her life in the process. 

I like that the end went a little further than the video game did. It closed a door that was left ajar for me. I will always be a fan of The Assassin's Creed franchise and this did not disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment