Friday, October 3, 2014

What's your one thing?

    Have you ever had someone ask you this question: What is the one thing you can't live without? I was scrolling through my Instagram the other day and came across someone that asked this as their QOTD. (question of the day) 

    I read through some of the answers and they were the generic: cell phone, computer, internet, air, food etc. It made me think about what I generally could not live without. Of course air, food, and water are the tops but I wasn't going to answer with those because those are a given. I wanted to think about something that was not a necessity but felt like one to me. 

    I wasn't going to say my family because it said a thing and though I would be completely lost without my husband, and the rest of my family, don't want any hurt feelings here. (Even though I know my family probably never reads my blogs.) I didn't want to answer that way. I view my dog as apart of my family so I wasn't going to say her either. 

    I thought about the usual answers like: cell phone, wifi and laptop and as much as I love all of these things, could I go without them? If the zombie apocalypse happens and I pretty much have to throw out my cell I would live. Don't get me wrong, I love my phone with my constant attachment to the internet. It would be difficult but eventually the hole in my chest from my phone being gone would heal. 

     The thing that popped into my head after all the things listed above was something that means a ton to me. It's something that some people in the world doesn't have and some older people still don't have. The ability to read. 

    Without the ability to read, the internet wouldn't matter anyway. My cell phone would go back to just being for phone calls, my laptop would be for playing games and that retro paint game. Why would I need my tablet if I wasn't going to use it as an E-reader anymore.  

    It would be a sad world for me! I am surrounded by books in my office, my favorite places to go are Barnes and Noble and The Book Rack. I always have a book to read and usually carry one in my purse in case I get a chance to read a few pages at anytime. A big part of writing is reading. Especially if you're like me because then it's mostly rereading stuff you've already written.

    So if I suddenly have a stroke and lose my ability to read...I don't know what I would do. It would involve a lot of crying though! I mean I would hope I could reteach myself but if I lost it completely and could never get it back. If I could never get it back, if I could never enjoy such a huge part of my life anymore...just put me down! Or buy me lots of audiobooks and tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment