Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Helia's Shadow Part One by K.C. Neal

     Helia's Shadow part one is by an amazing author, K.C. Neal. She is seriously talented and very nice, I've had a few conversations with her on social media sites. 

     Let me start by saying how much I love this book! It captured my attention from the first chapter and within a few hours I was already halfway through it. It almost pained me to set the book down, that's how good it is. It is a young-adult, science fiction book. It's filled with advanced  technologies, aliens, rebels and alien/human hybrids. All that you need in a good science fiction read.

    Being a "part one" immediately told me there would be a cliff hanger ending, and man was there! I don't know how I'm supposed to just continue living while I wait for part two. 

    I like the strong, smart female lead. Helia isn't the "usual" female leads. She tinkered in technology, which isn't something I've read in a female lead before but I loved it. It proved she held a valuable role in the story. She wasn't just there to be a pretty face. There was a part when she refused to back down to a stern alien that just made me smile at her bravery.

     There was some romance to it but it wasn't overwhelming like it could have been. That was refreshing! So many books focus so much on the love interest almost losing everything else in the process. I was glad this book didn't do that.

    When Helia, along with her best friend and cousin, try to make the Talon leader of their city come clean about his lies it backfires, in a big way. Making Helia and Kalo run to survive. She joins Kalo and the other talon rebels in their plot to bring down the leader. As she fights to save the human race in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment