Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

    I have never read any books by Robin McKinley before, to be honest I have never heard of her before either. I've had Sunshine for about five years now and I've tried to read it three times before this time. I could never get into it enough to even get halfway through before. I was determined to finish it this time, and it was very difficult.

    For a book that is full of magic and vampires I really thought I would get into this, but I couldn't. The only reason I did finish is because I skim read, I never skim read but I had to or I would have stopped reading it again.

    I think what annoys me the most about this is how she keeps saying she is in a relationship with Mel. They never talk, ever, you can't have a relationship where you don't talk to each other. They hardly ever kissed, if they did at all. Sunshine talked more to, Con, than to anyone else in the book.

    Sunshine (her name is really Raven but everyone calls her Rae or Sunshine.) leads a very dull life, in my opinion, she works at a diner as a baker, she is famous for her cinnamon buns. Then for some reason she gets the urge to go to her parents old lake house. The lake is a dangerous area after the "Voodoo wars" because of all the bad spots there and all the "others" that lived there. (Others are any supernatural being. Vampires are considered the worst of all.) She gets abducted by a group of vampires and forced to stay in a mansion, chained to the wall beside a starving vampire, Constantine. (Con for short.) She is supposed to be a meal for him but he refuses to kill her.

    She conveniently remembers after being chained up for two days that she is a magic handler. She uses her magic to not only free herself but Con also. What she doesn't know is the magic in her blood is powerful, powerful enough to help a vampire walk in the sunlight without bursting into flames.

    She eventually goes back to her normal, boring life. Not for long though because, Con, shows back up. He heals her and tells her that the Vampire that chained him up, Bo, was looking for both of them, to kill them. After he heals her, they are bonded together and it makes it easy for both of them to "call on" the other. They both have to go on a small journey into "nowheresvile" (a realm that vampires live) to find and kill Bo and his little army.

    I like how well she adapted to fighting for her life. She killed vampire after vampire with her bare hands, by shoving her hands into their chest and ripping out their hearts. That was awesome but I hated how freaked out she got after it was all over. I guess a normal person would but in a book you don't really want the heroin to lose her mind after she kills a bunch of vampires. (Just look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer for that.) The ending kind of sucked, so they kill the baddie and now what? She is just going to return to "dating" Mel and baking cinnamon buns. BORING!

2 comments: