Friday, September 26, 2014

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett


  City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett was an amazing book! I have never read a book by Bennett before but after reading this I'm looking into his other works. City of Stairs is in the fantasy genre but I think it could also be considered a mystery. Fantasy books are not usually my go to genre, neither are mystery's for that matter, but I could not put this book down. The only thing that annoyed me about this was the names in it, my gosh how is someone supposed to pronounce these names?

    I loved how incredibly detailed this story was. There were times I could see everything that was being described, as if it was a show playing on t.v. The fight scenes were amazing to read and had me holding my breath at times.

    This doesn't even take place in a specific time, it has it's own reality. The main character, Shara, is in the city of Bulikov many years after the "Blink." Which was a war so a lot of the town was destroyed. She is one of her continents best operatives and she is in Bulikov to investigate a murder of a dear friend of hers. She gets much more than she bargained for once she arrives. People are rude to her and automatically don't like her because of her race. She holds her own though and put a lot of people in their place.
 
    I absolutely loved the man, Sigrud, he is Sharas secretary. I wish he would have had a bigger part in this whole book! I would have been perfectly fine if it was written about him. He was funny, extremely tough and oddly very profound at times.
 
     Unless you are a Saypur, which Shara is, you can not talk about faith, religions, Divinities (Gods) or history. It is illegal to speak of these things. Which in turn makes everyone hate Saypur or Shallies (because of the amount of shallots they eat) as the locals call them. It's almost like a futuristic race thing.

    After further investigating Efrem's murder things start to get weird. People that Sigrud is following start to literally vanish into thin air. Ancient, believed to be dead monsters start showing up and then before she knows it a Divinity shows up as well.

    I was afraid that after the ending fight scene was over the book was going to end stupidly. But it didn't I was so proud of Shara at the end, it felt like she was someone I knew and I was rooting for her.  I highly recommend this to everyone, it has aspects I think everyone would like.

     Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Authors Twitter
More Info
Author Bio

No comments:

Post a Comment